Tuesday 22 July 2014

‘Austerity, Abandonment and Silence on Israel/Palestine: The Day I left Labour ’

by Thomas Kiernan - Respect Party Member (North West)

    Before I begin this, let me set the background. I come from a traditional, working-class background in the North of England. My mother is English, but the child of Irish immigrants to Britain in the 50’s. My family has, more or less, voted Labour their entire lives and would not dream of voting for anybody else. Whilst I have followed George Galloway and the Respect Party for years, I did not commit to being a member until several months ago.

   I was in Gdansk a few weeks ago, having treated my grandmother to a holiday for all her support during the three years I have been at University, when I stumbled across the news that veteran Labour MP, Dennis Skinner, had been voted off the Labour National Executive Committee. I was immediately infuriated; Skinner is one of the few true Labour politicians left in the Party. Much like George, he stands for many of the things which the Respect Party is championing alone: an end to austerity, the support of trade-unions and, above all, equality and peace. However, his Party have abandoned all of those concepts and adopted the Conservative policy of refusing to end austerity measures and promising to be ‘tougher than the Tories on welfare’. With Skinners removal, it is clear that the Party is going for a younger, more centred approach to try and emulate Tony Blair’s success in 1997. They may have some nice sound-bites (regulate energy companies, free childcare and decentralisation), but nothing of substance and certainly nothing which has enticed me to support them come 2015.

   Already apathetic and disillusioned with Labour and any major party, I had considered cancelling my membership with the Party there and then. Then the real kicker: Miliband has been silent over the recent events in Gaza which have seen roughly 600 Palestinians die and several thousand injured in the indiscriminate (or ‘precision’) bombing of innocent lives. Miliband, on his trip in April to Israel, had publicly denounced the increasing illegal settlements but has never gone as far as to publicly condemn Israel for its horrendously poor treatment of the Palestinian people whom they subject to a life of internment and poverty on a daily basis. What has happened to the man who looked likely to bring Labour back to the left, to return to its stance as the Party of peace and opportunity? His silence is, to me, as bad as Michael Gove’s admittance that he is a ‘committed Zionist’ and the USA’s constant defence of the Israeli government. It seems tragic that the UK, who was complicit in the USA’s killing of over one million civilians in Iraq, is still comprised of leaders not willing to learn from its mistakes and immediately order sanctions on Israel until it ceases raining death over Gaza, sit down at the table with Abbas and finally broker a deal which will see the Palestinians receive fair and just compensation for the misery to which they have been subjected.


   That, for me, was the final straw on a very strong back, and so my membership is now in the post. I refuse to support a Party which has adopted a name for which its policies do not represent, and I refuse to vote for any Party which does not have a firm commitment to equality both nationally and overseas. The Labour Party is dead; what remains is a walking frame of opportunity which regularly gets overlooked and increasingly sucked in to the political centre. What remains is something which will soon be considered like it will help no-one, speak for no-one and can be trusted by few. If first-past-the-post was abandoned, the Labour Party would be forced to kick itself into gear, to become a party which people would want to be a part of. As it stands, it remains little more than a bleak alternative to the Tories. I am convinced that, if Labour does indeed succeed come May, it won’t be because they’re a party of change. It’ll be because they’re the better of two very, very poor choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment