Tuesday 25 March 2014

RIP Tony Benn - thoughts by Bristol's Respect Leader Neil Maggs

Very sad news on the passing of Tony Benn. Having just lost Bob Crow RIP, its been a bad week for those that support the trades union movement.

I first met Tony Benn in the 1970's when I was a boy living in the Hengrove area of Bristol. He was our MP in Bristol South East then, but I was at school and too young to vote.

The last time I spoke to Tony was in Tolpuddle, Dorset, about 18 months ago. The annual festival there remembers the farm workers that first stood up for workers rights in the 1830's.  The festival is The Tolpuddle Martyrs festival, and Tony Benn was always a strident supporter of the Tolpuddle festival.

Tony was a great orator at such events. I remember him a few years ago saying "I'm 84 years old now but still campaigning. If I had known that being 84 was this much fun I would have done it years ago".

He went on: "I had a letter from someone in Bristol. It read that he'd seen they had put a vehicle on planet Mars. He asked me that if we can get a vehicle onto planet Mars, is there any chance of a decent bus service around Bristol?".

Tony always supported workers rights and fought for jobs. That is Tony Benn's legacy. To fight for jobs, especially for our youngsters, and to fight for a society based on fairness and equal opportunities for all.

Rest in Peace, Tony. The world has lost a great man.


Neil Maggs
Bristol Respect

No comments:

Post a Comment